Physical exam frequency
All adults should visit their health care provider from time to time, even if they are healthy. The purpose of these visits is to:
- Screen for diseases
- Assess risk of future medical problems
- Encourage a healthy lifestyle
- Update vaccinations
- Maintain a relationship with a health care provider in case of an illness
For recommendations for men and women by age group, see:
- Health screening - women - age 18 - 39
- Health screening - women - age 40 - 64
- Health screening - women - over 65
- Health screening - men - age 18 - 39
- Health screening - men - age 40 - 64
- Health screening - men - over 65
How often you need a physical exam; Health maintenance visit; Health screening; Checkup
Atkins D, Barton M. The periodic health examination. In: Goldman L, Schafer AI, eds. Cecil Medicine. 24th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Saunders Elsevier; 2011:chap 14.
Last reviewed 5/16/2012 by Linda J. Vorvick, MD, Medical Director and Director of Didactic Curriculum, MEDEX Northwest Division of Physician Assistant Studies, Department of Family Medicine, UW Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Washington. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M. Health Solutions, Ebix, Inc.
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.