Lips - chapped and dry
Here are some recommendations for preventing chapped lips:
- Avoid excessive sun exposure
- Avoid going out in dry, cold weather without putting on lip balm or lipstick
- Try to keep the air in your home humid
- Use a sunscreen on your lips when outside in sunny weather
Here are some recommendations for soothing chapped and sore lips:
- Drink additional fluids in winter months
- Treat chapped lips with beeswax and petrolatum (Vaseline)
See your health care provider if you have sores that won't heal on your lips.
Habif TP. Atopic dermatitis. In: Habif TP, ed. Clinical Dermatology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2009:chap 5.
Habif TP. Warts, herpes simplex, and other viral infections. In: Habif TP, ed. Clinical Dermatology. 5th ed. Philadelphia, Pa: Mosby Elsevier; 2009:chap 12.
Last reviewed 10/14/2012 by Linda J. Vorvick, MD, Medical Director and Director of Didactic Curriculum, MEDEX Northwest Division of Physician Assistant Studies, Department of Family Medicine, UW Medicine, School of Medicine, University of Washington. Also reviewed by A.D.A.M. Health Solutions, Ebix, Inc., Editorial Team: David Zieve, MD, MHA, David R. Eltz, Stephanie Slon, and Nissi Wang.
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.