Frontal bossing is an unusually prominent forehead, sometimes associated with a heavier than normal brow ridge.
Frontal bossing is seen only in a few rare syndromes, including acromegaly, a chronic disorder caused by too much growth hormone, which leads to enlargement of the bones of the face, jaw, hands, feet, and skull.
There is no home care needed for frontal bossing. Home care for disorders associated with frontal bossing varies with the specific disorder.
Call your health care provider if
If you notice that your child's forehead looks unusually prominent, talk to your health care provider.
What to expect at your health care provider's office
An infant or child with frontal bossing generally has other symptoms and signs that, when taken together, define a specific syndrome or condition. The diagnosis is based on a family history, medical history, and thorough physical evaluation.
Medical history questions documenting frontal bossing in detail may include:
- When did you first notice that the forehead appeared unusually prominent?
- What other symptoms are present?
- Have you noticed any other unusual physical characteristics?
- Has a disorder been identified as the cause of the frontal bossing?
- If so, what was the diagnosis?
Laboratory studies may be ordered to confirm the presence of a suspected disorder.
Last reviewed 11/7/2011 by Neil K. Kaneshiro, MD, MHA, Clinical Assistant Professor of Pediatrics, University of Washington School of Medicine. Also reviewed by David Zieve, MD, MHA, Medical Director, A.D.A.M., Inc.
- The information provided herein should not be used during any medical emergency or for the diagnosis or treatment of any medical condition.
- A licensed medical professional should be consulted for diagnosis and treatment of any and all medical conditions.
- Call 911 for all medical emergencies.
- Links to other sites are provided for information only -- they do not constitute endorsements of those other sites.
Any duplication or distribution of the information contained herein is strictly prohibited.