Healthy heart quiz
How much do you know about healthy hearts? Try taking the following true-or-false quiz. You may be surprised at how much you know.
- #1. Excess weight puts unnecessary strain on your heart.
- True. Excess weight is unhealthy, especially obesity, because it puts more strain on your heart. Excess weight can raise blood pressure and blood cholesterol and lead to diabetes. Losing weight is one of the best ways to reduce the risk of heart problems and other diseases. Maintain a healthy weight to reduce your risk of heart attack.
- #2. Genetics plays a role in a healthy heart.
- True. If your parents or siblings had or have heart disease at a young age, you may also be at risk for heart disease. Discuss this with your healthcare provider. However, remember that you can DECREASE your other risks for heart disease by getting regular exercise and changing your diet by cutting back on fats and eating more fruits, vegetables, and grains.
- #3. Aspirin is an effective drug in helping to maintain a healthy heart.
- True. Low doses of aspirin are proven to prevent heart attacks. Ask your healthcare provider if you should take an aspirin a day.
- #4. Chest pain can be a warning sign of an unhealthy heart.
- True. If you have chest pain, or left arm pain with exertion, that disappears with rest, consult your healthcare provider to see why you are getting this pain.
Last Reviewed 2011