Managing Eating Problems During Cancer Treatment: Gas and Bloating
Gas can become trapped in the digestive system, causing cramping and discomfort. Some remedies to prevent the problem are:
- Eat and drink slowly.
- Avoid gas forming foods such as beans, carbonated drinks, onions, cabbage, and broccoli.
- Exercise mildly to help move gas from the bowel. Check with your doctor first.
- Avoid drinking through a straw to prevent swallowing air.
- Avoid chewing gum to avoid swallowing air.
- Don’t talk much at meals to avoid swallowing air.
- Ask your doctor if you can use over-the-counter gas medicine.
UI Cancer Information Service