University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics is home to one of the nation's most renowned and successful obesity surgery programs. UI Hospitals and Clinics was an early pioneer in surgical treatments for obesity and is recognized as a Center of Excellence.
- The American Society for Metabolic and Bariatric Surgery--the world's largest specialty society of its type--has designated our bariatric program as a Center of Excellence®.
- Wellmark Blue Cross and Blue Shield designated UI Hospitals and Clinics as a Blue Distinction Center in bariatric (weight loss) surgery in 2008.
- Optum Health Care Solutions designated our obesity surgery program as a "Center of Excellence" in 2008.
- Aetna: The health care benefit company designates our bariatric surgery program as an "Institute of Excellence" based on an evaluation of clinical performance.
- United Resource Networks (U.R.N.) Bariatric Resource Services named the program a Center of Excellence.
- We were the first hospital in the United States to perform vertical banded gastroplasty for patients with morbid obesity.
- Our doctors performed the world's first horizontal gastroplasty surgery for morbid obesity in 1971.
Bariatric Surgery Resources
Contact UsBariatric Surgery
University of Iowa Hospitals and Clinics
200 Hawkins Drive, 4604 JCP
Iowa City, IA 52242