Insurance Plans We Accept
Below are payor contracts with University of Iowa Physicians, UI Hospitals and Clinics, and UI Children's Hospital as of August 2013:
- Blue Cross and Blue Shield (Wellmark BCBS of Iowa and BlueCard)
- Care, Inc./Care Preferred/Care Provider Network
- Cedar Valley Coummunity Healthcare
- Coventry Health Care of Iowa, Inc.
- Eastern Iowa Community Healthcare
- Employee Benefit Systems
- First Health
- Galesburg Community Unit School District #205
- Great River Health Systems, Inc.
- Health Alliance Medical Plans
- Health Choices
- HealthSmart Payors Organization
- Humana ChoiceCare Network
- HFN, Inc.
- Interplan Health Group
- Medical Associates Health Plans
- Midlands Choice
- North Iowa Community Healthcare
- Quad City Community Healthcare
- Sanford Health Plan
- SISCO - Self Insured Services Co./Self Funded Services Co.
- UnitedHealthcare of the River Valley
- UnitedHealthcare hawk-i
- USA Managed Care Organization
(Network participation varies by transplant type)
- Blue Distinction Centers for Transplant - BCBSA National Transplant Network
- Cigna LifeSource Transplant Network
- Coventry Transplant Network
- Humana National Transplant Network
- Interlink Transplant Network
- LifeTrac Network
- Multiplan Centers of Excellence Network
- OptumHealth Care Solutions
- Wellmark BCBSI Transplant Network
- Magellan of Iowa (Iowa Medicaid only)
- OptumHealth Behavioral Solutions/United Behavioral Health
- Humana Choice PPO and Humana Gold Plus HMO
- Care Improvement Plus
Iowa Medicaid/Title XIX
If you are underinsured or uninsured, you may qualify for Medicaid. Applications for Medicaid are available at your local Department of Human Services Office. The processing time for Medicaid applications runs from 30 to 45 days.
All Medicaid patients must present a current eligibility card at the time of arrival. You are responsible for all non-covered portions.
If your Medicaid program requires a referral from your primary care physician or you have an out-of-state Medicaid payor, you are responsible for making sure the referral is in place before the service is provided. UI Hospitals and Clinics may cancel all future visits until the referrals are obtained.
If your health care needs are the result of a work-related injury, we will bill your employer or your employer’s liability carrier. We will also ask for your health insurance information in the event that Workers’ Compensation denies the claim. You are responsible for ensuring that your worker’s compensation company will cover services.
Veterans Administration (VA) Benefits
If you have VA benefits, a referral from the VA must be secured for every visit. You are responsible for making sure the VA referral is in place before the service is provided.
The Social Service office at UI Hospitals and Clinics keeps a list of financial assistance programs and helps patients and their families enroll in those program, a process usually initiated at their local county level.